Monday, May 9, 2011

Songbird.




For you, there'll be no more crying,
For you, the sun will be shining,
And I feel that when I'm with you,
It's alright, I know it's right

To you, I'll give the world
to you, I'll never be cold
'Cause I feel that when I'm with you,
It's alright, I know it's right.

And the songbirds are singing,
Like they know the score,
And I love you, I love you, I love you,
Like never before.

And I wish you all the love in the world,
But most of all, I wish it from myself.

And the songbirds keep singing,
Like they know the score,
And I love you, I love you, I love you,
Like never before, like never before.






"Songbird" by Fleetwood Mac is a softly toned song that describes the self-sacrifice needed for true love. It is written solely by Christine McVie and is said to be interpreting the turmoil that was within the band at that time. The overall mood of the song is best portrayed as bittersweet, which is indicated when "the songbirds keep singing, like they know the score." This demonstrates to the listener that even though there is happiness in a relationship, there will always be sadness too. This song is often categorized as a lullaby, but it is also full of poetic devices that add to the overall meaning. The first stanza uses alliteration, with the uplifting and jubilant words "the sun will be shining". It also posses consonance, stating simply with absolute certainty, "It's alright, I know it's right". That line is also utilized at the end of the second stanza, which is an exemplary example of parallel structure. The usage of a simile is the reason the chorus is so powerful and hard hitting. It adds softness to the song, and adds to the emotiuonal meaning because "the songbirds keep singing, like they know the score". This song invokes pure emotion and gets its tinge of sadness from the fact that pain is easily caused and one does not have much control over love after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment